July 29, 2014: Maria Omar Salama Dheir, 12, was killed by Israeli missiles fired from aircraft at the family’s three-story house, in Rafah, in the southern part of the Gaza Strip.
Five families comprised of 26 Palestinians were living in the bombardment house which was completely destroyed, causing the death of 19 Palestinians from Dheir family, including eight children.
Al-Mezan Center for Human Rights has reported that most of the residents were outside the home at the time of the attack, but the brothers and most of their families had come back the day before to be reunited with her grandmother, Turkiya, for Eid al-Fitr, the feast at the end of Ramadan.
The slain family members have been identified by al-Mezan Center for Human Rights as:
- Turkiya Khalil Hamed Dheir, 66.
- Ezat Salama Mahmoud Dheir, 23, Turkiya’s son. (Journalist)
- Omar Salama Mahmoud Dheir, 38, Turkiya’s son.
- Reem Abdel Aziz Mohammed Dheir, 32, Omar’s wife.
- Maria Omar Salama Dheir, 12, Reem and Omar’s daughter.
- Ghidaa Omar Salama Dheir, 7, Reem and Omar’s daughter
- Mohammed Omar Salama Dheir, 10, Reem and Omar’s son.
- Mo’men Omar Salam Dheir, 9, Reem and Omar’s son.
- Yamen Omar Salama Dheir, 5, Reem and Omar’s son.
- Mahmoud Salama Mahmoud Dheir, 46, Turkiya’s son.
- Jamalat Mahmoud Mohammed Dheir, 41, Mahmoud’s wife.
- Salama Mahmoud Salama Dheir, 12. Jamalat and Mahmoud’s son.
- Mohammed Mahmoud Salama Dheir, 8, Jamalat and Mahmoud’s son.
- Arwa Mahmoud Dheir, 16.
- Shorouq Mahmoud Salama Dheir, 21, Jamalat and Mahmoud’s daughter.
- Ola Mahmoud Salama Dheir, 19, Jamalat and Mahmoud’s daughter.
- Yasmin Ahmed Dheir, 24, Omar’s sister-in-law.
- Tasneem Mohammed Salama Dheir, 4, Yasmin’s daughter.
- Wafaa Abdel Razeq Eid Dheir, 29, Omar’s sister-in-law who was pregnant.
That day witnessed one of the most intensive Israeli bombardment and shelling in the Gaza Strip.
More than 51 Palestinians, including entire families, were killed that day alone in various parts of the Gaza Strip, while dozens were injured by ongoing Israeli bombardment and shelling. Maria was from Rafah. Source: Mezan Center for Human Rights, IMEMC