Rafat Omar Khamayseh

September 19, 2023: Rafat Omar Khamayseh, 15, was killed by Israeli soldiers who also killed two other Palestinians and injured at least thirty in the Jenin refugee camp in the northern West Bank governorate of Jenin.

The Palestinian Health Ministry has confirmed three deaths and more than thirty injuries, including a few who suffered serious wounds, and added that the soldiers also attacked medics and ambulances while trying to reach the wounded.

The Health Ministry officially identified the slain Palestinians as Mahmoud Ali Nafe’ Saadi, 23, Mahmoud Khaled Ararawe, 24, and Rafat Omar Khamaisa, 22.

A fourth Palestinian, Ata Yasser Ata Mousa, 29, from Marka village, south of Jenin, succumbed to his serious wounds at dawn, September 20.

Defense For Children International – Palestine branch said: “Rafat Omar Ahmad Khamayseh, 15, was shot by Israeli special forces while leaving his grandfather’s house in Jenin refugee camp around 7:30 p.m. on September 19, according to documentation collected by Defense for Children International – Palestine.

As he left the house, Rafat saw Israeli special forces exiting three Palestinian licensed cars and surround the home of the father of a Palestinian man wanted for arrest. Rafat fled, yelling, “Special forces! Special forces!”

One Israeli soldier chased Rafat and shot him in the abdomen from a distance of 10 meters (33 feet). Rafat fell and a Palestinian resident of Jenin refugee camp approached him to offer aid. Israeli special forces fired another shot toward Rafat, and the Palestinian man threw himself on top of Rafat and rolled him toward his house, less than five meters (16 feet) away. The man and his family sheltered Rafat for about an hour and a half as the Israeli military prevented ambulances from accessing Jenin refugee camp. Rafat died before an ambulance transferred him to Ibn Sina Hospital in Jenin.”

Eyewitnesses said more than thirty undercover Israeli soldiers infiltrated the refugee camp and fired a barrage of live rounds at the Palestinians, forcing them to leave the streets before surrounding two homes and exchanging fire with Palestinian fighters.

The soldiers fired several rockets at the two homes where Palestinian resistance fighters are believed to be hiding.

Dozens of Palestinians protested the invasion and hurled stones at them while the soldiers fired a barrage of live fire.

Also, an Israeli military drone fired a missile at an electricity tower, causing a power blackout in the refugee camp and some areas in Jenin city.

In addition, the soldiers attacked the minaret of the Grand Mosque in Jenin refugee camp with many rounds of live ammunition.

Palestinian resistance fighters exchanged fire with the invading soldiers in Jenin and the Jenin refugee camp.

During the invasion, the soldiers abducted Ahmad Abdul-Karim Mansour and Hussein Ahmad Zidan, 65, but released Zidan later when he suffered a heart attack before Palestinian medics rushed him to Ibn Sina Specialized Hospital in Jenin. The soldiers also released Mansour a few hours later before the army withdrew.

The Israeli invasion caused excessive damage to many cars, shops, and buildings in Jenin and its refugee camp.

Hundreds of Palestinians marched in Jenin and its refugee camp, chanting against the escalating Israeli violations and calling for national unity and resistance until liberation and independence.

Rafat was from Jenin in the occupied West Bank’s northern part. Source: IMEMC