Ghofran Haroun Warasna

June 01, 2022: Ghofran Haroun Warasna, 31, was shot in the chest and killed by Israeli soldiers at the entrance of the al-‘Arroub refugee camp, north of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.

Dr. Yousef Takrouri, the director of the Al-Ahli Hospital in Hebron, said Ghofran was left to bleed to death by the Israeli soldiers and died before the medics could take her to the hospital, adding that the doctors tried to revive her, but she succumbed to her serious wounds.

Dr. Yousef added that the soldiers shot Ghofran with a live round in the left side of her chest, under the armpit, adding that the bullet went through her heart and exited from the right side of her chest.

He also said the soldiers did not allow anybody to reach her and left her bleeding on the ground for twenty minutes before eventually allowing the Palestinian medics to reach her.

The slain young woman studied media and journalism at Hebron University and was active in documenting the Israeli military violations.

In addition, she was a journalist reporting to three Radio stations in Hebron.

A few days before the soldiers killed her, Ghofran started a new job at Dream Radio in Hebron and was on her way to work.

Her cousin, Yousef Warasna, said that he was heading to work in his car with his son, and was informed she was shot and killed.

An eyewitness said the woman was walking in the area heading to her work and did not attempt to attack the soldiers when they shot her near their military tower.

Palestinian Prime Minister Dr. Mohammad Shtayyeh condemned the Israeli crime and demanded the International Community act on prosecuting Israel for its ongoing and escalating violations against the civilians.

“This organized terrorism is encouraged by the absence of sanctions and punitive measures against the illegal Israeli occupation of Palestine,” he said, “The lack of punishment means another crime will be committed…”.

“The International Criminal Court sent forty investigators to Ukraine in less than two months,” Dr. Shtayyeh stated, “Yet, nothing has been done to prosecute Israel for its crimes that have been ongoing for decades.”

The Israeli army claimed the soldiers shot the woman when she allegedly attempted to stab them, adding that the soldiers “neutralized the woman.” No soldiers were hurt in the purported attack.

In incidents of alleged stabbings or attempted stabbings, the Israeli army does not allow the Palestinian medics to approach the wounded and instead calls for an Israeli ambulance, leaving the wounded bleeding to “secure the scene” and ensure they have the person in custody regardless of their condition.

However, the soldiers allowed the Palestinian medics to transfer her to a Palestinian hospital in Hebron city instead of taking her to an Israeli hospital, an issue that casts serious doubts on the military allegations.

Ghofran was from Shiokh al-Arroub village, northeast of Hebron. Source: IMEMC