Suleiman al-Hathalin

January 17, 2022: Suleiman al-Hathalin, 75, died from serious wounds he suffered on January 5th, 2022, after an Israeli tow truck ran him over in the Um al-Khair area of Masafer Yatta, south of Hebron in the southern occupied West Bank.

The Palestinian Health Ministry stated that Suleiman remained in the Intensive Care Unit at the al-Mezan Hospital in Hebron city until he succumbed to the serious wounds he suffered on January 5th, 2022.

Al-Hathalin, 75, a well-known activist from the Um al-Khair area was rammed with a military truck during nonviolent protests that took place after the soldiers invaded Masafer Yatta, causing him to suffer a critical skull fracture.

His injuries were extensive; to the head, chest, abdomen, and pelvis, medical sources at the al-Mezan hospital have confirmed.

Fouad al-Amour, the Coordinator of the Protection and Steadfastness Committees in Masafer Yatta, stated after the elderly man was rammed and seriously injured, that the army invaded the area, accompanying a tow truck, and seized several Palestinian-owned vehicles, leading to protests, and added that local Palestinians gathered in the area to stop the Israeli army from confiscating their privately-owned vehicles when the tow truck drove over Suleiman.

His family said it will be filing a suit against the Israeli police for the excessive use of force against him, especially since he was repeatedly assaulted and abducted by the soldiers and the police, in various previous attacks, despite his old age and frail body.

Suleiman was a prominent figure and has been part of ongoing protests, especially after Israel confiscated Palestinian lands in the 1980s, and built the illegal Carmiel colony.

After the colony was built on the stolen lands, the Palestinians were denied the right to build homes in the area, an issue that forced them to live in tin houses and tents that have been demolished more than fifteen times.

The Israeli army previously demolished Suleiman’s home, after alleging it was close to Carmiel colony which was built on stolen Palestinian lands.

Suleiman’s family was displaced from the Arad area in the Negev desert when Israel was established in the historic land of Palestine in the year 1948.

Video By WAFA

The family then moved to the area east of Yatta town, south of Hebron, and in the year 1965 they bought the land where they built and resided, however, Israel illegally annexed Palestinian lands, including part of Suleiman’s land, and built the illegal Karmiel colony in the year 1980, and has since been expanding it by further theft of land.

On January 12, Israeli soldiers killed an elderly man, identified as Omar Abul-Majid As’ad, 80, after detaining and constantly assaulting him in an under-construction building in Jaljulia village, north of the central West Bank city of Ramallah, before detaining and constantly assaulting.

Suleiman was from Um al-Khair area of Masafer Yatta, south of Hebron in the southern occupied West Bank. Source: IMEMC

Jamil Abu Ayyash

December 10, 2021: Jamil Abu Ayyash, 31, was killed by Israeli soldiers during the weekly protest against the illegal Israeli colonies in Beita town, southeast of the northern West Bank city of Nablus.

The head of the Emergency and Ambulance Department at the Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS), Ahmad Jibril, told the Palestinian News & Information Agency (WAFA) that the army opened live fire at non-violent protesters on Sbeih Mountain, killing Jamil Abu Ayyash, and causing at least sixty-eight cases of inhalation injuries from tear gas.

He added that the slain young man was shot with a live round in the head with a live round, and was transferred by ambulance to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead due to his critical wounds shortly after arrival.

Palestinian youths have been protesting for months in rejection of Israel’s expansion of its illegal colonies, especially when Israeli colonizers occupied the top of the mountain and installed the illegal “Avitar” colonialist outpost.

Earlier in the day, soldiers accompanied bulldozers that razed a power network and roads leading to the protest site, in addition to uprooting olive trees on Palestinian-owned lands.

The Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affair and Ex-Patriates issued a statement denouncing the killing of Abu Ayyash and called The Human Rights Council’s International Commission of Inquiry to Investigate Violations in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, to investigate his death and all Israeli crimes and violations.

It said that the Israeli army’s use of live ammunition against unarmed protesters is a war crime, and a crime against humanity, and is yet another proof that Israel does not seek peace and is ongoing with its hostile policies against the Palestinian people and any treaty or resolution that would result in real and comprehensive peace based on international legitimacy resolutions.

It also called on the International Criminal Court to open an immediate inquiry into the escalating Israeli crimes and violations against the Palestinian people, their property, and their holy sites.

The Ministry urged the International Community to provide the urgently needed protection to the Palestinian people and to end its idleness by prosecuting those who commit these crimes against unarmed civilians and their property.

It is worth mentioning that the funeral ceremony of the slain young man was held in his town, with the participation of hundreds of Palestinians, including social figures.

Jamil is the ninth Palestinian to be killed in Beita since the protests against the annexation of Sbeih Mountain started after the colonizers occupied it in May of this year, 2021.

Jamil was from Beita town, southeast of Nablus, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank. Source: IMEMC

Mohammad Ali Khabisa

September 24, 2021: Mohammad Ali Khabisa, 28, was killed by Israeli soldiers who shot him with a live round to the head, in Sbeih Mountain in Beita town, south of the northern West Bank city of Nablus.

Palestinian medical sources said Mohammad was shot with a live round in the head, in Sbeih Mountain, and was rushed to the an-Najah Hospital, in Nablus, where he succumbed to his very serious injuries.

The slain young man is a married father of an infant girl, only eight months of age, and is the eighth to be killed in Sbeih Mountain since the protests started 140 days ago after illegal Israeli colonizers installed an outpost on private Palestinian lands.

During Friday protests, Israeli soldiers also injured 29 Palestinians, including eight who were shot with rubber-coated steel bullets, 18 who suffered the effects of tear gas inhalation, and two who suffered burns.

Beita has been witnessing constant protests, and repeated Israeli military invasions and violations since the illegal Israeli colonizers occupied the top of Sbeih Mountain and installed an outpost they named “Avitar.”

Following ongoing protests, the colonists left the outpost on July 2nd, but it was not dismantled, and they installed it again.

The outpost was installed in May of this year after the colonists kept trying to build a colony on the Palestinian lands five times in the last 30 years.

The Mountain, owned by the Palestinians, has significant strategic importance, especially since if it is occupied by the colonizers the colony would lead to the annexation of 20 Dunams of Palestinian lands, and would also lead to the isolation of a large area of Palestinian lands.

Mohammad was from Beita, south of Nablus. Source: IMEMC

Hadar Buchris

Nov 22, 2015: Hadar Buchris, 21, was killed in a stabbing attack, near the illegal Israeli settlement bloc of Gush Etzion, south of Bethlehem, in the occupied West Bank.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Maan News Agency that, after the Palestinian stabbed the woman at the Gush Etzion junction, ‘the soldiers on site responded to the imminent threat and shot the attacker, resulting in his death.’

Hadar was evacuated to Shaare Zedek hospital in Jerusalem where she was pronounced dead. A spokesperson for the hospital said: ‘She was brought to the hospital almost dead.’

The Palestinian who stabbed the woman, was identified as 34-year-old Issam Ahmad Thawabta from Beit Fajjar in Bethlehem district, was fatally shot by the soldiers.

A Maan reporter who was in the area during the attack said that he witnessed dozens of Israeli soldiers rushing to the hitchhiking station for Israeli settlers at the Gush Etzion junction, firing gunshots.

The soldiers then shut down the main bypass road known as Route 60.

Thawabta was the third Palestinian to be killed that day after two Palestinians were shot dead by Israeli settlers in two separate incidents on Sunday morning.

A Palestinian taxi driver was shot and killed by a settler near the illegal Israeli settlement of Kfar Adumim in the central West Bank after he ran into another car on a main road, and allegedly got out ‘with a knife in his hand,’ Israeli police said.

Less than an hour earlier, a prominent Israeli settler ran over a 16-year-old Palestinian girl near Nablus, saying that he believed she intended to carry out a stabbing attack at Huwwara military roadblock.

After she was hit by the car, another Israeli settler then shot her multiple times while she was lying on the ground.

The teenager was identified as Ashraqat Taha Ahmad Qatanani from Nablus, while Israeli media identified the man who ran her over as Gershon Mesika, the former head of the ‘Samaria regional council,’ which represents Israel’s illegal settlements in the northern West Bank.

After running the girl over with his car and driving into a ditch, Mesika got out of his car and shot the girl. Israeli forces also opened fire on her.

More than 90 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since the start of October — many shot dead under circumstances that rights groups said that Israeli forces used unnecessary force — while at least 16 Israelis have been killed in the same period.

The Gush Etzion junction in particular has been the site of several deadly encounters, including a shooting attack on Thursday that resulted in the death of two Israelis and one Palestinian bystander, and the injury of ten others.

In response, Israeli officials agreed on Thursday to increase security measures inside the settlement bloc, including increased restrictions on the movement of Palestinians.

Israeli news site Ynet reported that the measures could include the temporary restriction of movement of Palestinians in the area, the deployment of extra Israeli security forces, and the construction of a ‘fence’ along certain roads.

The measures come after a meeting between the Israeli Minister of Defense Moshe Yaalon, the Israeli army’s chief of staff, and the mayor of the Gush Etzion Regional Council, an administrative body for illegal settlements in the area.

The regional council also urged settlers who own firearms to voluntarily accompany children on school buses to assist as first responders after attacks.

Hadar was Safed. Source: Ynet News, IMEMC